The tower was built in about 1500 AD.
To the right of the West Door is a benchmark height above sea level 85.3ft.
The clock – a turret clock, was driven by heavy weights and ran for 8 days. A similar clock may be seen in Queensgate, Bridge Street entrance. When fully unwound these weights reach the church floor and were wound up weekly. In recent years a self-winding mechanism has been installed consisting of two electric motors (1 for the clock, one to operate the chime) which automatically chime within a continuous chain to replace the heavy weights. There is also a third electric motor which silences the bell at night.
Four bells :- inscriptions are
1 – COM COM AND PREAY 1595
2 – SEARVE GOD AND O BEAY THY PRINCE 1595
3 – J. TAYLOR & CO FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1863
4 – OMNIA FIANT AD GLORIAM DEI SOLI THO. EAYRE 1736
They were re-hung in a steel frame in 1904 and the chiming apparatus, which we use today, in 1919.
Photos: Terry Brignall
Olympic Church Bells
At 8.12 am on 27th July 2012 St. Nicholas Church joined in with Martin Creed, Creator of ‘All the Bells’ Work Number 1197, to welcome in the London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Games.